Saturday, March 28, 2009

March for Babies

On April 26 we will walk again in the March of Dimes March for Babies. The March of Dimes' mission is to give every baby a healthy start- in raising prematurity awareness, and in funding research aimed at prevention and treatment for babies born too soon or those with birth defects. Without advances made by the March of Dimes, Elizabeth would not have survived. Her lungs were simply too premature to work without the surfactant therapy the MofD helped to develop.

I walk so that someday no more babies will endure what she has. Elizabeth has scars all over her body- a PDA ligation scar on her back, little scars up and down her arms and legs from all the IVs she had, her heels are covered in tiny scars from the hundreds of heel sticks that were required, she has a large scar on the back of her leg, we think it is from a collapsed vein from a PICC line or when her umbilical IV was removed. What internal scars are there that we can't see? This should not happen to anybody's baby.

Elizabeth is a miracle. I now have the honor and call to help more babies. Please help sponsor me as I walk. I would really appreciate any donation, no matter how small and I would love it if you signed up to walk the us; wherever you may be you can walk there! You can donate or sign up to walk by clicking on the March of Dimes link on the right.

Just in case you need to see why we walk. . .



2 comments:

Amanda Bacon said...

Hi Sarah! Thanks so much for finding me and commenting. We definitly have our good and bad days..prematurity really sucks! I will probably take you up on the venting offer....some days are just so hard! I feel as if nobody gets me when I need to vent, because they just do not understand a child with complex issues. We will see you at the walk, we are very very excited to see our nurses and doctors again. Take care!

Allison said...

That is precious!