Thursday, October 9, 2008

Admitted

Here's the scoop-
Elizabeth has had a cold/cough for several weeks but it got much worse that past few days. Tuesday night Matt and I were up all night with her coughing so bad she vomited 3 times. I took her to the doctor Wednesday afternoon, and was happy to see that the doctor we were seeing is also a friend from church. She spent a lot of time checking over Elizabeth and was going to send us home with about 4 new meds, then Elizabeth coughed. The doctor said-"she is turning bright red and purple take her to the ER now" Her oxygen sats were too low also (91)

We packed up and headed to the ER-After a chest x-ray, more vomiting and low sats they determined that the best thing to do would be to admit. That way she could get oxygen and IV meds. I was actually really surprised. She doesn't act sick except when she coughs. We were moved to a bed in peds as midnight!! And got settled after 2am some time. I had to hold the oxygen up to her face all night long and she woke up every time I tried to put her down (I am sooo tired and am home right now to get some rest while Matt is with Elizabeth) Elizabeth isn't able to keep her sats up while she is sleeping drifting down to the 80s at times (how long has this been going on?!) We are waiting on a few lab tests to find out for sure what is wrong. Chest x-ray did show she does have a lot of damaged tissue (which we really already knew)

Elizabeth and I will stay again tonight and will go from there. If she can keep her sats up without the oxygen on she will probably go home sometime tomorrow, if not she will stay until she can keep her sats up without oxygen. The nice thing is that I am so comfortable in the hospital, know almost all the doctors on the peds floor and am comfortable with all the equipment that she has on. It really helps, I probably would be a lot more stressed if I was someplace else or didn't already have a long hospital stay under my belt.

The most important thing to know is that while she is in the hospital- I am not really worried about her. She will be fine and this is just a little bump in the road of prematurity. Although any prayers that you could send her way would be great!

1 comment:

Kiera said...

Sending prayers up north for you.