Thursday, June 14, 2007

Posted Jun 14, 2007 11:11pm

What a big day! All Good!

I can’t believe that Elizabeth will be two months old tomorrow. She has come so far, what a little miracle! Like all babies, Elizabeth has to get her two month immunizations tomorrow. Her nasal cannula time has been extended to six hours twice a day. Elizabeth is doing great with it; her oxygen requirement is almost the same as when she is on CPAP. Elizabeth is becoming such a big girl, that they put her in clothes for the first time today. She had on a little t-shirt and was swaddled in a blanket and was very happy tonight. There was an “educate and create” class for the NICU parents yesterday, which was a lot of fun. One of the doctors talked about developmental care for preemies, we had lunch, and made a picture frame craft. It was great to meet other parents and do something social; sitting in the NICU can sometimes be less than socially stimulating. Of course I talk to the nurses and therapists a lot, but it is nice to talk to parents who are sharing a similar experience.

Elizabeth is “The NICU’s Next Top Model”! One of the lactation consultants asked me if I would be willing to have a picture taken while kangarooing. I said sure, thinking it would be a quick snap shot with the NICU digital. It turns out the picture is for a breastfeeding brochure for the hospital and they wanted to show skin to skin care. One of the hospital’s photographers (who does beautiful work) came and took some wonderful pictures of the two of us. I will have the pictures in a week or so and will post them. I don’t know when the brochure will be published.

When I came in tonight Elizabeth’s nurse told me it was a bath night. This usually means a wipe down. Tonight was her very first “tub” bath. Because Elizabeth is such a special baby she got the royal treatment. Her nurse but some soap in the water and turned on some oxygen and put the hose in the water. She had her very first whirlpool bath, almost like a trip to the spa! I gave her the bath and she loved it (mostly)! Elizabeth was weighed tonight and is now up to 2lbs 3oz! I forgot to bring our camera, so we have to scan in the pictures that were taken tonight and I will post those soon too.

Thank you so much for all the prayers and support. Please keep them up, I hear everyday from the medical staff what a little miracle she is. The power of prayer is truly working!

Check out that huge belly!

Another picture that shows how small Elizabeth still is- her head fits in the palm of my hand

No comments: