Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A big first for Mommy!

Two and a half weeks after her birth, I got to hold Elizabeth today for the first time. They put her on my chest skin to skin, this is called kangaroo care. Her nurse told me that they would let me hold her as long as Elizabeth tolerated it up to an hour. Elizabeth was her usually feisty self, wiggling and moving a lot but did great. I was able to hold her the whole hour and the last 15 minutes or so she seemed to have fallen asleep. I was surprised how soft her skin felt. While she was getting put back in her bed and all her lines and tubes arranged the respiratory therapist thought she saw her left eye open just a slit. She said that by tonight it might be open. Then Elizabeth peaked again, I went to the other side of her bed for a better look and she opened her left eye almost all the way! I was so happy that I got to see her open her eye, I thought for sure that she would do that while I was gone. The right eye should follow any time now. Her eye color is that dark slate blue that most babies have. Elizabeth also got 1cc (30cc = 1oz) of breast milk for lunch today.

The bad news we got today was that the duct in her heart has remained unchanged. Elizabeth will have to have the surgery next week to clamp it shut, probably Monday or Tuesday morning. I will let everyone know when I have more information.
Please continue to pray for our little girl. We really appreciate all the support from everyone.

The First Time I Held Elizabeth

No comments: