Thursday, April 26, 2007

First Diaper

Posted Apr 26, 2007 7:48pm

Elizabeth is still stable. Today they pulled the line out of her belly button, the longer it says in the higher the risk for infection. Infection, of any kind, is her greatest risk right now. Elizabeth is scheduled for her fist feed tomorrow. She will get a little less than 1cc in her feeding tube every 3 hours or so. This will help to "prime her gut" and get it ready for larger amounts in a few weeks. One of the nurses told us that all babies have trouble when they start with food and we should be ready for some kind of problem. Elizabeth will be given breast milk (I am pumping all the time!)which should be easier for her and cause less problems as well as give her antibodies that she missed getting from coming so early.
Last night I changed her diaper and took her temp for the first time. It was a little scary and a lot harder than I thought it would be. I consider myself a pro at diaper changing and I had a hard time with her little bottom. Elizabeth wasn't very happy about getting changed, she kicked and moved the whole time which made it more of a nerve racking experience. I am sure that as I do it more it will get easier each time.

At home we are trying to find our new "normal". I have no idea who left American Idol or anything else outside of our house and the NICU. There doesn't seem to be time for the "real world". I have yet to get to the store, hopefully I will try to work that in tomorrow. Ava seems to be dealing well with everything. Our biggest problem with her is keeping her dressed and our toothbrushes out of the toilet!

Please keep praying for Elizabeth, she has a long way to go, but she is a little miracle and we plan on her keeping that course!

No comments: