Friday, April 20, 2007

Day 6

Elizabeth is developing quite a personality already. She seems to be as opinionated as her big sister Ava. Elizabeth was not a happy girl during her ultrasound; the nurse told me that Elizabeth tried to push the wand away and then got the gel all over her face and hair. The good news is that the ultrasound showed that the duct opening in her heart has gotten much smaller. For now they are just going to leave it alone, it could get larger again or close all the way. Elizabeth is also showing signs that she may open her eyes soon, every once in a while she raises her eyebrows up and down.

I had my first dose of life in the NICU this afternoon. While the nurse and respiratory therapist were checking things and moving little Elizabeth, her stats dropped. They very calmly patted her feet and checked all her things and Elizabeth was fine. I on the other hand had to sit down as I watched after feeling faint. Afterward the nurse assured me that what had happened was routine and that moving a little preemie takes a lot out of them and it takes a few seconds to get their center back. It took me some time too!
The new picture of Elizabeth was taken tonight, it really shows how small she is. After the nurse checked all Elizabeth’s lines and tubes she had me put my hands on Elizabeth to calm her down. Elizabeth curled up and pushed her little feet into my hands and relaxed. Each time I tried to take my hands away, she kicked her feet and waved her arm. It was nice to know that she recognizes her mothers touch.

We are continually thankful for all the support and prayers we have received from so many people.


No comments: